Ratzinger’s CDF took years to respond to AZ abuse cases

Via the Arizona Star:

The late Tucson Bishop Manuel D. Moreno, often characterized as a poor advocate for sexual abuse victims, struggled with both canon law and Vatican mandates in his efforts to defrock two local priests, documents obtained by the Arizona Daily Star show. In one case, Moreno pleaded with then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, for help in removing the Rev. Michael Teta, who was convicted by the church in 1997 of five crimes including sexual solicitation in the confessional.

“I make this plea to you to assist me in every way you can to expedite this case, because the accused was a priest in whom I had great confidence at one time, but who, unfortunately, worked among our former seminarians, and, terrible to say, evidently corrupted many of them,” Moreno wrote in an April 1997 letter to Ratzinger. Ratzinger’s office oversaw Teta’s case because the crimes allegedly occurred in the confessional. His office did not handle the case of the other priest, Monsignor Robert C. Trupia, until 2001, when jurisdiction over such cases changed. Teta’s case, Moreno wrote, had already gone on for seven years.

As Andrew Sullivan notes, during that seven-year span, Teta “was paid living expenses, legal fees and health insurance by the church.”

The diocese did not notify police about allegations against Trupia until 2000, when mandatory- reporting policies were adopted here.

Par the Vatian’s explicit prescription to report abuse to outside authorities only when explicitly legally obligated. (Yes, I understand linear time, and of course recognize Scicluna’s statements were made after the Arizona diocese’s decision to withold information; but Scicluna’s recent comments are almost certainly expressive of longstanding church policy.)

…Tucson Bishop Gerald F. Kicanas said delays in cases here were not due to any Vatican office, including Ratzinger’s.

“The frustration that you can sense in (Moreno’s) letter, when put in the context of the delays experienced in our diocese, clearly refers to the challenges of getting the case resolved locally and did not refer to a frustration with the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith,” Kicanas wrote in an e-mail response to Star questions.

The church’s canonical court in 1997 found “there is almost a satanic quality in (Teta’s) mode of acting toward young men and boys.” The court found that Teta’s “insidious ‘rape’ of so many young men in his capacity as a priest” warranted his immediate removal from the priesthood.

“What is wrong with this system in which it takes another seven years to defrock a priest that has been found guilty of ‘satanic abuse?’ ” Tucson lawyer Lynne Cadigan said. Kicanas said that from 1997 to 2003, a process of review and appeals by Teta’s canonical lawyer took place. “Unavoidably, criminal cases in our civil system of justice and canonical trials in the church, because of the need to respect the right to due process, can take a long time,” Kicanas wrote.

“While clearly I would wish these processes could have progressed more rapidly, especially because people had been harmed and rightly wanted closure, nevertheless justice requires care and attention to the rights of all involved.”

Cadigan has represented more than 35 local church abuse victims in civil cases, including two men who said they were assaulted in the confessional by Teta as children and, combined, received about $2 million from the diocese…

“I spent years claiming that (Moreno) was the evil one allowing the abuse to occur, but after reviewing the documents from the Vatican, it’s clear that he did what he could within the confines of an incompetent system,” Cadigan said.

At the same time, Moreno was wrangling with Ratzinger’s office and another rapist priest appealing sentence passed against him:

At the same time Teta’s case was being resolved here, Moreno was struggling to keep Trupia from being able to retire from the priesthood in good standing. Trupia has now been accused of molesting more than 30 boys.

During the 12 to 14 years it took for the two priests to be defrocked, the diocese and its parishioners paid them each about $1,400 per month for living expenses and health insurance, as is required by church law. The diocese also paid for Teta’s canon lawyer, while Trupia represented himself.

As an expert in canon law, Trupia filed numerous appeals. In 1997, the Vatican’s Congregation for the Clergy told Moreno to let Trupia resign in good standing, but Moreno appealed.

“As the bishop of the diocese, I cannot take the chance of his working among our people unless I am sure of his suitability,” Moreno wrote to a high Vatican official in 1997.

Said Cadigan: “Bishop Moreno tried desperately, within the confines of the Vatican, to get rid of Trupia but they wanted to let him go with good recommendations. Bishop Moreno stated very clearly that (Trupia) was a sexual predator, but the Vatican cared more about saving face and keeping it quiet than protecting children.”

Attorney Kim Williamson, Cadigan’s co-counsel, said it was still three years until Trupia was defrocked, and only after an Arizona Daily Star article revealed Trupia was living in Maryland and still receiving monthly checks from the Diocese of Tucson.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: